The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) has been in effect for nearly 26 years yet many, particularly those new to the healthcare industry, are still confused by their roles and responsibilities with respect to HIPAA regulations. During this two-part series, we will help you better understand your compliance obligations and give you some insight on what lies ahead for HIPAA as lawmakers and other authorities contemplate potential updates and changes to regulations.
Learn how to:
- Explain the history of HIPAA and HITECH and what motivated creation of the regulations
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of HIPAA fundamentals
- Describe the difference between the Privacy and Security Rules
- Identify the sources of liability under HIPAA for organizations working in healthcare
- Articulate to colleagues and management recent trends related to breaches of protected health information and the implications for their organization
- Communicate recent developments related to HIPAA and how they might impact future laws and regulations
No matter where your organization is in its compliance journey, it is crucial that you learn the fundamentals of HIPAA so that you have a solid understanding of the basics and your requirements to comply, today and moving forward.